Grandparent's Rights

Preserving the right to visitation

Divorce affects more than just parents and children.  Grandparents are forced to choose sides when a long-term relationship meets a bitter end.  This animosity can get in the way of grandparents’ rights to visit with their grandchildren at a time when the grandchildren are most in need of a stable influence in their lives.

At the law offices of Attorney Julia B. Shalhoup, we passionately represent grandparents who want to visit their grandchildren and maintain these positive relationships.  We encourage the use of mediation, when appropriate, to devise solutions that are workable for all parties.

If you are denied visitation with your grandchildren, please contact our Charleston, West Virginia, family law firm for a consultation.  Call (304) 345-4455.

Do you qualify for visitation in West Virginia?

Under the laws of West Virginia, grandparents and grandchildren have the right to see each other under certain conditions.  If there has been an established relationship between the grandchildren and grandparents, courts will likely grant a grandparent visitation.  Grandparent visitation can be granted even when the child has been adopted by an unrelated third party, such as a step-parent, when there has been court-ordered visitation in the past.

By exercising your right to visitation with your grandchildren, you have the opportunity to be a good influence on your grandchildren after a divorce.  You do not have to let your grandchildren be hurt because of bitterness and anger between your child and his or her former spouse.

The law office of Julia Shalhoup in Charleston, West Virginia, can help you assert your rights or reestablish lost visitation rights with an enforceable court order to see your grandchildren.  Our office can help you:

  • Obtain a court order for visitation
  • Create an established visitation schedule
  • Enforce existing visitation rights
  • Reestablish lost visitation rights

Assert your legal right as a grandparent.  Call today: (304) 345-4455.

If you would like to know more about grandparents’ rights to visitation with their grandchildren, contact an experienced West Virginia family lawyer by calling (304) 345-4455, or fill out our online contact form to provide more information.  From offices in Charleston, we represents clients throughout West Virginia, including Charleston, Hurricane, Winfield, Madison, Elkview, Ripley, Beckley, Hamlin, and Spencer, and Putnam, Kanawha, Boone, Lincoln, Jackson, Roane, Cabell, Clay, and Raleigh counties.

Quick Contact


Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
[ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]

See our profile at or